Nature Families Essay Excerpt: June 2016

“I noticed nature subtly dictating my brush strokes…” Excerpt from Nature Families Essay

Recently, I was surprised at how starkly cold the decorated surface of my pottery was.  Black and grey silhouettes of birds and tree skeletons graced my forms.  It was February and a cold and lingering winter in Utah. I was working daily in the studio, and it was not till I looked back at the photographs from the year that I noticed the extremely strong connection between the seasons and the way I decorated my work.  It was as if nature was subtly dictating my brush strokes season by season.


In the spring, my art echoed the marshes that grace Cache Valley.  Light blues and chartreuse circles with brush work of birds and reeds, brought a serene quality, full of new life to the pots. 


Later, as summer sat heavily upon us, reds and oranges emerged with Red-winged Blackbirds and Poppy’s smothering the surface.


And as autumn seeped into the mountains, I was drawn to a simplistic branch and berry design, leaving expanses of open space. 

This new awareness of how deeply my creativity is connected to the natural world’s cycles, has brought me a sense of settled balance and belonging to my home.






Comments