Artist Statement Musings...

"I am a quiet person, a wide open space kind of person. When I feel my body rigid from the daily interaction with noise, chatter, pavement, and exhaust, I escape to my studio. The place where I tune all excess out and fully center, cocooned in the process of making. Just as Yoga centers and calms the whole person, creating art is a deepening practice. Deepening in the sense of being grounded and connected to the land and self. I work while reflecting on nature, the curve of my brush line echoing the cattails of the marsh, or the curved belly of the bowl cupping the enclosed space like a birds nest."


Comments

  1. Wow Jani, you just shared a beautiful story of why an artist creates. Love hearing about why you love what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words Portray beautifully what your art is to you! You are elegant & beautiful inside & out!��

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be able to capture the deep and perfect moments of quiet beauty in the natural world-encapsulated forever in an instant with a brush stroke or within the clay form is a true talent. Your art is an authentic reflection of the incredible and complex beauty found in the natural world and brings the same sense of calm and wholeness to the person using your pottery or living with it in their home. I am never surprised when I hear a piece of your art quickly becomes the favorite mug or vessel. Your art is like nature, full of contradiction, which makes it both balanced and powerful-elegant but yet still comfortable and usable on a daily basis, gentle yet strong, sometimes deep and unusual but demonstrated on a form that is common and "known" in it's comforting shape like a bowl or item that is used daily for the sacred rituals of my family life---cooking and eating together--even if it is a fully uncommon message. I think this is what intrigues me and draws me most to your art--the frequency with which I interact with your work because I use it daily--and how it effects even my mood--- you bring nature into my life through your art which helps keep me whole and healthy---yours is a true vibrant and vital living art form and for that I am deeply grateful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment